DI MATTEO: TERRY DOUBT FOR DIFFICULT TOON

Roberto Di Matteo is facing the prospect of using a third central defensive partnership this league campaign after rating John Terry an injury doubt for the Saturday team-time kick off against Newcastle.

The captain and David Luiz played at Wigan with Gary Cahill coming in for the Brazilian for the second fixture.

Squad news
‘We have a few players with little niggly injuries from the last game,’ reports Di Matteo.

‘Marko Marin (hamstring) is still not going to be available and JT is struggling for tomorrow as well. He has a neck injury from the game on Wednesday so might not be available for tomorrow.’

David Luiz who missed the Reading game due to a knee injury is expected to be fit to return.


On facing Newcastle
The second home game of the season brings a chance to make amends for the second-to-last home game of last season when two high-quality strikes from Papiss Cisse resulted in the only defeat under Di Matteo at Stamford Bridge so far.

‘We always have difficult games against Newcastle and they are a very good team with some great players,’ acknowledges the Italian.

‘We haven’t beaten them at Stamford Bridge since 2007 so that tells you what kind of team they are. They have a lot of goals in their team with [Demba] Ba and Cisse, and in midfield [Hatem] Ben Arfa and [Yohan] Cabeye, and [Jonas] Gutierrez scoring every now and then.

‘It is going to be a game when we have to defend very well but we also want our players to express themselves and create chances. But we certainly have to try to control Newcastle’s big threats when we can because they are lethal at times.’

Chelsea have signed a right-back today but the emphasis this summer has been on adding attacking midfielders.

‘The big challenge is to have the right balance,’ says Di Matteo.

‘We had all those offensive players on in the second half against Reading but we had to take the risk because we were losing the game. We might have been a little open for sure but hopefully we won’t have to chase games all the time.’

On Victor Moses
With an agreement having been reached with Wigan for the transfer of Victor Moses to Stamford Bridge, Di Matteo confirms the 21-year-old will now have a medical examination.

‘[Wigan manager] Roberto Martinez did a wonderful job when he signed him and he has really developed him,’ says Di Matteo.

‘Moses had a very good season last year and hopefully we can progress his development and he can help us with his abilities. He can play on either wing and can give the team width. He’s a wide player with great dribbling ability and good pace and is a powerful player. He is a great option to have in our team. We have tried very hard to get this player in and again he is a young player and hopefully he will be the future of the club.

‘He has different abilities from the other new players. He is more of a wide player that gives the team width and is good with and without the ball. He attacks space.’

The manager is not anticipating more arrivals or departures.

‘It is a good and competitive squad and we are happy with it. We are looking to go into the season with this squad.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.