Blues to be patient with Hazard

Chelsea won the race to sign Hazard earlier in the summer and the Belgium international was later joined at Stamford Bridge by his younger brother Thorgan.

The former Lille playmaker has been slowly adjusting to a new style of play during pre-season and Di Matteo does not want to burden Hazard with too much expectation during the early stages of the campaign.

“Of course, we are looking for Eden to be incisive, but we have to be patient,” said Di Matteo.

“He is a young man, he has come from a different league in France and we need to give him time to adapt.”

The Chelsea boss has also added fellow attacking midfielders Oscar and Marko Marin to his squad over the summer, but he says it will not lead to a major change in his approach to winning games.

He added: “There will not be radical changes. We will try to make some changes. With the integration of these new players, inevitably we will change how we play a bit.

“But I never said we were going to play attacking football, we will play to try and win games.”

Chief executive Ron Gourlay claimed last week that Chelsea could still strengthen in a couple of areas before the transfer window closes and Di Matteo is waiting to see what opportunities are presented.

Asked if the club’s spending is over, he added: “It depends if there is a good opportunity for us. Otherwise, I am happy with the squad.”

Cole denies contract problems

The England star’s future has been the subject of speculation with the full-back enterting the final year of his contract.

The likes of Paris Saint Germain and Manchester United have been credited with an interest in Cole as they monitor his contract situation at Stamford Bridge.

Reports have suggested Chelsea had yet to open talks with Cole over a contract extension with the former Arsenal man holding out for a deal worth £200,000 a week.

However, Cole insists he has made no such demands and that contract talks with Chelsea have just got underway.

“Contract talks have not stalled just started, and 200k are you for real, I’d never ask for that,” Cole wrote on his Twitter account.

“Like I said before don’t listen or always believe what media say they aint got a clue”.

Oscar seeking Chelsea glory

Oscar has been lining up alongside Neymar – considered the finest talent to emerge from South America since Lionel Messi – in Brazil’s Olympic squad this summer.

And the 20-year-old has revealed he has been trying to convince the Santos forward to choose Chelsea when he eventually makes the move to Europe.

Oscar told The People: “While we are in London, I have been telling Neymar about the ambition of Chelsea. When the time comes for him to join a European club, I hope I can persuade him.”

Oscar joined the Blues in a £25million move from Internacional this summer and claims he had no hesitation in joining the west London side when he found out about their interest.

He said: “When my agent told me that Chelsea were interested it was not something I even needed to think about.

“They are the champions of Europe, but they are still showing so much ambition by improving the squad.

Ambition

“To win the European Cup and still sign guys like myself and Eden Hazard shows you the ambition the owner and manager have.

“With the squad we have I will be looking at winning the Premier League title and also the Champions League.

“I know it is very difficult to win it twice in a row and even Barcelona could not do it, but with what Chelsea have in place it is very possible.”

Before that, Oscar is targeting Olympic gold medal with Brazil as they prepare to face South Korea in the semi-finals of the competition on Tuesday.

“To win an Olympic gold would be very special for me,” he added.

“The Brazilian Football Confederation have told us that they don’t expect anything less than gold – and that is what we are going to deliver.”

Friendlies round-up

Aston Villa and West Ham were also beaten away at Championship opposition, while West Brom and Reading could only manage draws against lower league sides.

But it was the champions of Europe who will attract the headlines as they blew an early lead to lose 3-1 at the Amex Stadium.

Frank Lampard gave Roberto Di Matteo’s men the lead before goals from Vicente, Ashley Barnes and Andrew Crofts saw the Seagulls to a memorable win.

Villa were also on the receiving end of a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Nottingham Forest.

Lewis McGugan hit a brace and Marcus Tudgay scored the other with Barry Bannan’s free-kick the only positive for Paul Lambert’s side.

Ipswich also inflicted a 3-1 loss on Premier League opposition as they beat Sam Allardyce’s Hammers at Portman Road.

Michael Chopra scored a penalty before Luke Chambers and Jason Scotland added further goals with only a Matty Taylor effort to cheer the away side.

Albion and Reading held

West Brom were spared a defeat thanks to Peter Odemwingie’s late equaliser cancelling out a fine goal from Sheffield Wednesday new boy Nejc Pecnik.

Reading were also forced to settle for a draw as they shared two goals apiece at Bournemouth.

Wesley Thomas and Miles Addison netted for the Cherries with Adrian Mariappa and a Hal Robson-Kanu penalty providing the goals for the visitors.

The only Premier League winners were newly-promoted Southampton as they beat Wolves 2-0 in front of sparse crowd at St Mary’s.

A goal in each half for Billy Sharp and Jason Puncheon were enough to see off a poor Wolves side.

Abroad

In France, Mladen Petric continued his fine goalscoring form in pre-season as bagged again in Fulham’s 4-0 win over Nice.

Petric scored a delightful scissor kick to put the Cottagers ahead and has now scored in every pre-season game since arriving at the club earlier this summer.

Alex Kacaniklic put the west London outfit two goals ahead just before the interval.

Mahamadou Diarra notched a the third goal before the exciting teenager Mesca rounded off the scoring.

Later in the night, Manchester City beat Wolfsburg 2-0 at the Volkswagen Arena with goals from Sergio Aguero and Yaya Toure.

Pereira could leave Porto

The Uruguay international is under contract with Porto until the summer of 2016 and is valued at around €30million (£23.8m).

However, he has reportedly attracted the interest of a number of leading European clubs, including Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Paris St Germain, Napoli and Juventus have also been linked with the 26-year-old, whose representative believes a departure from Porto could happen.

Flavio Perchmen told Antena 1: “I spoke with Alvaro last week and he is calm. We are waiting to find out if there is any offer.

“We think everything will go well and that he can leave the club, but right now we do not have any concrete offer.”