The Brazilian defender is on his way back to the Vicente Calderon side after an unsuccessful spell with the Premier League champions
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has confirmed Filipe Luis will rejoin the Liga club shortly after just one season at Chelsea.
Speaking at a dinner with Atletico’s squad on Tuesday, Cerezo applauded the club’s transfer dealings so far in the close-season, with Jackson Martinez, Luciano Vietto, Yannick Ferreira Carrasco and Stefan Savic having arrived at the Vicente Calderon already.
Filipe Luis is set to become the fifth signing for Atleti coach Diego Simeone, with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho revealing he expects to sell the Brazilian full-back soon and Cerezo confirmed the capital club are working to regain his services.
“Filipe’s missing, I don’t think it’ll take long for him to come in,” Cerezo said according to AS.
“[Guilherme] Siqueira is a great player and he might carry on with us. I’m delighted with the squad, the signings are fantastic and we’re going to have a great season.”
Filipe Luis played 127 league matches for Atleti before leaving for Chelsea in July 2014 – with the left-back playing a key role in winning La Liga in 2013-14.
Atletico have seen Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Miranda (Inter), Arda Turan (Barcelona), Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham) and Emiliano Insua (Stuttgart) depart the club on permanent transfers this European summer.
But with the likes of Martinez coming in, Cerezo reckons Simeone’s squad can again challenge Barcelona and Real Madrid for the league title.
“I think we’re building a great team and the players coming in more than make up for those leaving,” he said.