Match report: Chelsea 2 Everton 0

As it was we had to settle for just the one-goal lead at the end of a first half which we completely dominated, with Mendy untroubled right up until added time, when he comfortably dealt with a low shot from outside the box by Gomes.

Picking up where we left off

Given our advantage and control, the Blues saw little reason to change our approach after the break, especially with Everton needing to come out more in the second half in pursuit of an equaliser. There did seem to be a touch more urgency about our play though, as we looked to put the game to bed, and it wasn’t long before Pickford was again tested from an Alonso free-kick heading towards the top corner.

Havertz did then have the ball in the back of the net, having brought the ball down and turned before firing low past Pickford from close range, but the referee blew his whistle and VAR confirmed that the ball struck Havertz’s hand as he controlled it.

We were given a warning shortly after play resumed, when Richarlison got the ball with space to shoot just inside the box, but he didn’t make a clean connection and sliced wide. James nearly provided an instant response for Chelsea, as he drove low from range, but it skidded just wide of the far post with Pickford looking beaten.

Ending the contest

Hudson-Odoi was next to force a save from Pickford as we pushed hard for a decisive second goal which would kill Everton off, cutting in from the left and letting fly with a dipping effort, which was tipped over the bar.

However, it was from the penalty spot that the second goal eventually arrived, with Havertz heavily involved again. He beat Pickford in the race to reach a direct pass in behind and was brought down by the goalkeeper. Up stepped Jorginho to convert in his usual calm style, sending Pickford right and rolling into the bottom-left corner.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.